Are you someone who suffers from Crohn’s Disease? For people that do, it is probably a good idea to at least consider being on a gluten free diet. This is because, according to research back in 2005 (and a lot of confirmations from others with Crohn’s Disease since), it looks like Celiac Disease is commonly found in people suffering from this Crohns. Doctors have even gone as far as to recommend a gluten free diet for anyone who is diagnosed with Celiac Disease!
Here are the results of the study:
- The results of the celiac disease screening of the 27 Crohns patients:
- Positive antigliadin – 8 – 29.63%
- Positive antiendomysium – 4 – 14.81%
- Positive antitransglutaminase – 5 – 18.52%
- Positive sorbitol H2 – 11 – 40.74%
- Positive biopsy – 5 of 11 – 18.52% Crohns patients studied
The researchers conclude that there is a high prevalence of celiac disease in those with Crohns disease, and that all patients who are diagnosed with Crohns disease should begin a gluten-free diet at the time of diagnosis.
Over the past few months, I have noticed a lot of other people with Crohn’s Disease who have confirmed that they also have Celiac Disease, which confirms the results found in the study mentioned above.