Chick-Fil-A has added a new item to the kids menu that is not only a much healthier option than the traditional fried chicken nuggets, but they are gluten-free, too!
Following is more information on Chick-fil-A’s new Kid’s Meal offerings:
- Introduction of Grilled Nuggets: These gluten-free Grilled Nuggets are made from a boneless, skinless breast of chicken tumbled in a salt and pepper spice blend and then grilled to perfection. The four count is only 80 calories and 1 gram of fat, while the six count contains 110 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.
- Addition of Buddy Fruits® Pure Blended Fruit To Go: Apple Cinnamon: Each squeezable fruit pouch is gluten free, all natural and contains 100 percent pure fruit. It is 60 calories, 0 grams of fat and equals one serving of fruit.
- Improved beverage options: Kid’s Meal beverage offerings will be changed to only feature one percent milk, 100 percent apple juice, Chick-fil-A’s freshly squeezed lemonade (30 percent DV vitamin C), and water as drink options.
Chick-Fil-A already had a nice variety of gluten-free menu items that included their famous waffle fries (fried in their very own dedicated fryer). Some of the other gluten-free menu items include:
- Grilled chicken breast
- Chargrilled chicken salad
- Fruit cup
- Waffle fries
- Hash browns
- Icedream dessert + select toppings
I love to get the chargrilled chicken salad with a side of waffle fries and a diet Dr. Pepper (one of the only fast food places around to offer DDP). I love that I now have to option of ordering the grilled nuggets for a quick protein boost, snack or as part of a meal.
Putting the gluten-free stuff aside, I love that Chick-Fil-A has taken this step towards making kids meals healthier. Offering grilled chicken, applesauce & milk, juice or water is a great way to set an example for other restaurants and our kids. Kids meals don’t have to contain fried chicken nuggets, French fries and soda; though those can be enjoyed in moderation. Since eating on-the-go is unfortunately a necessary part of life these days, hopefully other fast food establishments will follow Chick-Fil-A’s lead and add a grilled chicken option to the kids menu. Some fast food restaurants have added fruit options in place of fries, which is certainly a step in the right direction.
Have you had a chance to try Chick-Fil-A’s new grilled chicken nuggets? If so, please share your thoughts below.