We can go through life feeling sorry for ourselves because we can’t eat the foods we once loved, or we can take advantage of some of the amazing gluten-free products available to us and make those beloved food items. gfJules is one of my favorite gluten-free baking product companies. Jules really gets it and has put a lot of work into helping those following the gluten-free diet feel like they aren’t missing a thing.
gfJules Gluten Free Flour is one of my favorite products. It can be used cup for cup in those beloved recipes that you want to enjoy now that you are gluten-free. One of my favorite ways to use gfJues Gluten Free Flour is in Carrot Cake.
Carrot Cake might just be my favorite dessert. I simply sub gfJules Gluten Free Flour for the all-purpose flour in this recipe from my mom’s Betty Crocker Cookbook.
**Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook, modified to be gluten-free by me
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 large egg, 4 egg whites
2 cups gfJules Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups shredded carrots (5-6 medium)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe to follow)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8 or 9-inch pans with Pam. **You could use a 13 x 9 inch pan if you like.
2. Shred the carrots in a food processor
3. Mix sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs in a large bowl until blended and then beat for 1 minute.
4. Mix in remaining ingredients, except the raisins & nuts. Beat for 1 minute.
5. Stir in carrots & nuts and pour into pan or pans.
6. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or the round pans or 40 – 45 minutes for the rectangle.
7. Frost and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting
*****recipe courtesy of the same Betty Crocker cookbook
1 package low-fat cream cheese
1/4 cup of butter (1/2 stick)
2 tsps skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat the first 4 ingredients together until smooth.
2. Start to mix in the powdered sugar a little at a time. The frosting is ready when it is smooth & spreadable.
gf Jules has graciously offered to give two lucky readers each a gfJules Gluten Free Flour mix. All you have to do to enter to win is leave a comment telling me what you will make with the flour mix. Comments will be left open until 11:59 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2015. The winners will be randomly selected on Sunday, January 18, 2015.
*The products mentioned in this post and offered for the giveaway are being given courtesy of gfJules. The thoughts and opinions shared here are mine and have not been influenced in any way.