For those of you that celebrate the Christmas holiday, Merry Christmas to you! In honor of the Christmas holiday, I have managed to track down a great Christmas cake recipe that is also gluten free!
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Christmas Cake Recipe
- 850g dried mixed fruit
- 1 cup brandy
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Place dried fruit and 2/3 cup brandy in a large airtight container. Mix well. Cover and stand overnight or preferably for 1 week, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a 7cm deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with double layers brown paper and baking paper (see note). Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flours and spices over butter mixture. Add fruit mixture and stir until well combined. Press mixture into pan. Smooth surface. Decorate top with almonds.
- Bake cake for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Pour remaining 1/3 cup brandy over hot cake. Allow to cool completely in pan.
- Place jam in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until warm. Remove cake from pan and brush top with warm jam. Allow to set. Serve.
Additional Tips from the Author:
- You will need to start this cake at least 1 day ahead.
- Tip: To test if eggs are fresh before using, place eggs in a bowl and cover with cold water. Fresh eggs remain on the base of bowl, stale eggs will float.
- Baking tips: Lightly grease cake pan. Line base and sides with double layer brown paper, then double layer baking paper, allowing a 6cm overhang at all sides. Position oven rack just below centre so cake sits in center of oven.