Apparently we have coconut on the brain lately as we’ve featured several awesome gluten free recipes which include coconut in the ingredients. Coconut isn’t for everyone, but if you like it, give these gluten free cookies a try. You won’t regret it!
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Coconut Cookies Recipe
- 60g (2oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g (2½oz) desiccated coconut
- 150g (5oz) gluten-free plain flour
- 8 glacé cherries, halved
- Baking sheet(s) lined with non-stick liner or baking parchment
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Tip the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat them together until smooth.
- Add the beaten egg.
- Reserve 2 rounded tablespoons of coconut and add the rest to the creamed mixture and then the flour.
- Mix all the ingredients together to give a smooth, firmish dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball and then roll them in the reserved coconut.
- Flatten the balls to about 4-5cm (1½-2in) in diameter and place them on the lined baking sheet(s).
- Press half a glacé cherry on top of each biscuit.
- Bake the biscuits in the center of the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until they are a light-golden color.
- Remove the baking sheet(s) from the oven and leave the biscuits to cool for a few minutes, and then slide them on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The biscuits may be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. They can also be packed in a freezer container and frozen for up to 1 month.
- Allow the biscuits to defrost, and then warm them through in a hot oven to refresh them before serving.