When it comes to making a gluten free cake, the temptation is always going to be there to simply grab a cake mix from your grocery store, but for the most part the gluten free cake is always better when you make it from scratch. If you’d like to try a Devil’s Food cake, below is a nice cake recipe that isn’t to difficult to make from scratch. Enjoy!
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Devil’s Food Cake Recipe
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8? or 9? pan. (You can use square, round, whatever you like)
- Combine first 5 (dry) ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, like a cute little kitten.
- Add sour cream, and blend well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, blending well between additions.
- Beat in vanilla.
- To the wet ingredients, add dry ingredients alternately with the water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into cake pan and smack it on the counter a few times to break any air bubbles inside.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, maybe with a few moist crumbs attached. (The cake should be a little spongy, not dense. Do not over bake)
- Allow to cool completely before icing. (You can literally use whatever you like)