Exciting news today! There is going to be a gluten-free option for the 2013-2014 Girl Scout Cookie season for those needing to follow the gluten-free diet.
The Girl Scouts will be offering the Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie in test markets only. Those areas include the following councils:
- Girl Scouts of California’s Central Coast
- Girl Scouts of Central California South
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Girl Scouts of Citrus
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania
- Girl Scouts of Heart of Central California
- Girl Scouts of Maine
- Girl Scouts of Minnesota Wisconsin Lakes & Pines
- Girl Scouts of North Carolina Coastal Pines
- Girl Scouts of Orange County
- Girl Scouts of Carolinas Peaks to Piedmont
- Girl Scouts of San Gorgonio
- Girl Scouts of San Jacinto
- Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada
- Girl Scouts of Virginia Skyline
- Girl Scouts of Western NY
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Badgerland
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast
The cookies are certified gluten-free by the GFCO and contain the following ingredients:
Flour blend (rice flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch, guar gum, baking soda, potato startch, xanthan gum), butter, dried cane syrup, chocolate chips (evaporated cane sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter), water, vanilla extract, salt, cocoa powder (cocoa powder, vanilla), egg whites.
CONTAINS: Egg, milk.
More about the cookies:
Since it’s estimated that three million people have problems when they eat foods that contain gluten, ABC and our council partners expect this cookie to be a huge success. Our new bite size Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Shortbread cookie:
- Is made with real chocolate chips and real butter
- Contains no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no
high fructose corn syrup, no palm oil, and no
- Is available in a 5 ounce re-sealable foil pouch with
12 pouches per case
I hope this pilot program goes well so that the cookies can be made a permanent fixture and maybe they can expand the choices to include gluten-free Thin Mints and Samoas.