Whether you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, there are a growing number of solid applications available for your device to assist you with following a strict gluten-free diet in today’s world. Whether you are looking for assistance with gluten-free recipes, grocery shopping, restaurant menu information, or traveling resources.
In this post, I’ve gone out and collected all of the celiac disease and gluten-free diet applications available and included some information about each application below. As new applications are released, I will continue to update this post to help keep this information useful for iPhone/iPod Touch users.
Note: If you know of an application missing from our list below, please contact us!
Is That Gluten-Free? Application ($5.99)
The Is that Gluten-Free? application was designed to assist with grocery shopping, but can assist you in just about any situation where you need to know if an ingredient is gluten-free. Here is the complete feature list taken from the designer of the app:
- Over 14,000 VERIFIED Gluten-Free Products
- Over 320 Brands, including Private Label Grocery Store Brands
- Search by Category, Brand or Product Name
- Frequent, FREE Updates with New Products and Brands
- Searchable Ingredients Tab designating Safe, Unsafe and Possibly Unsafe Ingredients
- Handy Alphabetical Index for Categories, Brands and Ingredients
- One-touch link to the company’s website allowing you to search for more information
- No Connectivity Required unless you utilize the one-touch website links
Cook It Allergy Free Application ($4.99)
The Cook IT Allergy Free app offers recipes that can be converted to be allergen-free. It’s actually quite an ingenious tool. Many people have more than one food intolerance and this app addresses their individual needs. It also allows them to create a customized tool that can help with grocery shopping, cooking and menu planning – all for only $4.99!
“Customize Any of the Gluten Free Recipes to meet your allergy needs”
- 200+ Recipes, with MORE recipes being added all of the time. Beautiful images of all recipes.
- With a simple tap, trade out your Allergen(s) in any of the recipes with safe substitutions. Now no recipe is off limits!
- Any ingredients that appear in red within a recipe can be traded out with a correctly-calculated allergen safe substitution option that will work with the recipe.
- Find substitutions within the recipes for: eggs, butter, milk, yogurt, buttermilk, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, cheeses, nuts, nut butters, corn syrup, and soy.
- Customize your recipes and then share them through Email, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Also find the best tips and tricks for gluten free and allergy free cooking that will help to give you delicious results in the recipes.
Gluten-Free Restaurant Cards from CeliacTravel.com Application (FREE)
Application that includes images of over 40 of the gluten-free restaurant cards available at CeliacTravel.com!!
Gluten-Free Menus Application ($9.99)
Contains images of the gluten-free menus available at many of your favorite restaurants!
Celiac Smartlist Application ($24.99)
This new application takes Clan Thompson’s Celiac Food SmartList makes it easy to find gluten free information on over 18,983 products! This information is listed as verified information and includes a “comments” field to provide additional information about cross-contamination or other issues.
iEatOut Application (Free/$4.99/$8.99)
This new application is available in a Lite version (free), as well as a more advanced version for $8.99, which offers full functionality. I always recommend trying the lite version first, then if you like it, upgrade to the full version. These applications, if done right, will often pay for themselves very quickly!
Here are the features listed with the iEatOut application:
- Select from any combination of 10 common food allergens
- Personalize these allergens for yourself and others
- Choose from 86 menu items customized to your allergens
- Prepare yourself with questions to ask for safe ordering
- Explore 3 international cuisines organized in a meal course format: Indian, Italian and Steak & Seafood
- Discover 79 ingredients, food preparation techniques and cross contamination concerns
- View color coded-columns to determine which dishes you should consider based on your allergen concerns
- Review detailed descriptions of 86 cuisine-specific menu choices
- Learn about traditional & non-traditional culinary practices
- Become aware of traditional ingredients, sauces and gluten / allergen considerations by cuisine
- Understand eating out considerations for both guests & restaurants
- Customize your preference to display dish descriptions and quick reference columns
- Work offline with no connectivity required
GlutenScan is the first iPhone application to provide a gluten free safety status, complete product and ingredient information, and allergy warnings. Taking full advantage of the iPhone, GlutenScan allows you to call a product manufacturer at the touch of a button. Searchable by product name, category or UPC, GlutenScan gives users unprecedented access to a database of over 30,000 food products and more than 10,000 manufacturers when they need it most – while shopping at the store.
GlutenScan also includes a comprehensive list of ‘problem’ ingredients and synonyms, including detailed background information and sources for each ingredients. With over 40 years combined celiac and gluten free nutrition experience behind this research, the Zeer medical advisory and research teams make GlutenScan the most thorough and instructive product and ingredient information resource available on the iPhone today.
Gluten-Free Recipes Application ($0.99)
Application that provides a large number of gluten-free recipes.
Whole Foods Market Application
If you are a Whole Foods shopper, there is a new iPhone/iPod Touch application that owners of these devices will want to check out (available via search in the iTunes store). According to what I’ve read about this new application from Whole Foods, it includes a store locator (great for traveling!) as well as the ability to find gluten free foods in their stores, or even browse through their index of gluten-free recipes!