Here is an interesting gluten free version of a recipe for a Jibarito. A Jibarito is a popular sandwich in Puerto Rico. It’s easy to make and if you aren’t a beef fan, you can even substitute chicken! Probably the best part about this sandwich recipe is that there is no bread involved. Tasty plantains take the place of a traditional bun.
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Jibarito Recipe
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 green plantain, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces beef skirt steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 slice processed American cheese, cut in half
- 2 slices tomato
- 3 leaves lettuce
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet or deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Place plantain halves in the oil and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until they float.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Place plantain halves between 2 cutting boards and press to flatten.
- Place the flattened plantains back in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet.
- Add the garlic, skirt steak, onion, cumin and oregano.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until steak is cooked through.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise on one of the plantain slices.
- Top with cheese, steak and onion mixture, lettuce, and tomato.
- Place the other plantain half on top to form a sandwich.
- Cut in half and serve!