Are you a fan of mozzarella sticks? This delicious fried mozzarella treat was always a favorite of mine when I was younger, but is off limits for anyone on a gluten free diet. If you’re on a gluten free diet and have been going without, the holdout is over! Below is a gluten free recipe for mozzarella sticks that I think you will enjoy!
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (16 ounce) mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 quart of canola oil
- In a shallow dish, combine the gluten free flour mix and cornstarch thoroughly.
- In a second shallow dish, beat eggs and water until combined.
- In third shallow dish, combine the gluten free breadcrumbs and garlic powder.
- Cut each of the mozzarella sticks in half (the smaller size allows for more even frying).
- Coat each mozzarella stick thoroughly in the flour mixture, egg mixture, and then in the breadcrumbs. Continue these three steps until all mozzarella sticks have been covered in the flour, egg, and breadcrumbs (you will have 24 “mini” mozzarella sticks).
- Now begin the “double dipping process”. Re-dip all mozzarella sticks in the egg and breadcrumbs.
- Place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and freeze for one hour.
- After freezing is completed, fill your deep fryer (or large pan) with canola oil. The oil temperature should be 365 degrees.
- Deep fry the mozzarella sticks for approximately 25 to 30 seconds (or until golden brown).
- Using a frying skimmer, carefully remove mozzarella sticks from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce.