How does a gluten free recipe for a peppermint cookie with a candy filling sound? Here is a recipe I’ve used a couple of times and really enjoyed, so I wanted to pass it along to our readers here.
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Peppermint Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter (brought to room temperature)
- 1 large egg, also at room temperature
Cookie filling ingredients:
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (brought to room temperature)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 candy canes, crushed in a food processor
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 3 drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with two racks set in the middle.
- Mix the dry cookie ingredients. Set the mixer on low and add the butter, then the egg. Mix until dough comes together as a blob (about 30 seconds).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Space rounded teaspoons of batter about 1 ½-2 inches apart. Wet the heel of your palm with water and slightly flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.
- While the cookies bake, whip butter and shortening in an electric mixer. Keeping it on low speed, slowly add candy cane pieces, extract, sugar, and food coloring. Continue to mix until light and fluffy (about two minutes).
- Pair cookies by size and add a dollop of filling to each, using the back of a spoon to flatten the filling before mashing the cookies together.