Here is a delicious gluten free cake recipe I got from the Toronto Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association (if I remember correctly) which is worth the effort in baking.
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- 4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cup white sugar
- 7 or 8 applies, peeled and cored
- juice of one lemon
- 5 eggs separated
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. potato starch, sifted
- To prepare the apples, melt the margarine and the sugars in the bottom of a deep round pan large enough to hold the apples comfortably.
- Arrange the apples over the sugars.
- Fill the core openings with walnuts and raisins.
- Pour the lemon juice over the apples.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees C and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- To prepare the batter: in a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until very light.
- Add the lemon juice and sifted potato starch.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry; carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter over the hot apples and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let the cake rest on a cake rack for 10 minutes before turning it out, upside down, onto a large cake plate.