Are you racing the clock to get everything done before Saturday or your holiday gatherings? I know I am. This quote seems to say it best “the best-laid plans of mice & men often go awry” (This a variation of the orginal quote from Robert Burns.). So true. No matter how well I plan, circumstances change & adaptations must be made.
I always have a few simple recipes up my sleeve to use in case of emergency. In this case, emergency = my sanity. Sure, I could stay up all hours of the night to get everything done, but why would I when I can substitute some simple fan favorites.
- Peanut Butter Fudge – Takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish and never fails to wow the crowd.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – Toss everything together in a sauce pan as directed & then transfer to a crockpot to cook/keep warm. Serve with celery & tortilla chips.
- Catholic potatoes – Can be made in advance & then baked the day of.
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread – Not too complicated to make & it tastes like it was a lot of work!
- Cocktail Wienies – Lit’l Smokies are gluten-free. Toss in a crock pot with some Sweet Baby Ray’s or your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Veggie tray with dill dip – Marzetti’s dip is gluten-free.
- Chocolate Truffles – Ali iof The Healthy Hostess shared these – 2 ingredients (both naturally gluten-free). Simple!
- Honeybaked Ham – Pick up a ham or turkey – they are gluten-free!
- Salad – Grab a box of salad, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese & some gluten-free salad dressing.
- Mixed nuts – dump into a festive, decorative dish.
- Cheese tray – cut blocks of cheese into cubes and display on a tray
- Chips & salsa
- Sausage Quiche (recipe can be found on this page).
- Fruit salad – Buy pre-cut fruit if you are really pressed for time.
All of the above can be prepared in advance or within a short period of time. There is no need to spend hours in the kitchen pulling your hair out. Enjoy friends & family & give yourself permission to accept what you can do and don’t focus on things you planned to do, but were unable to get to. ’Tis the season to celebrate and have fun!