I have been seeing “Meatless Monday” all over the internet & blog world for months. I have never really put much thought into making our Mondays “meatless”, but realized over the past few weeks that they have just worked out to be that way. One of my favorite meatless meals is a bowl filled with a gluten-free grain, then a protein of some sort, veggies & whatever else tickles my fancy.
Some of the grains that I have been using are:
- brown rice
- Beans – black beans, chick peas, kidney beans, etc
- Sunshine or other gluten-free veggie burger
- Seeds and/or nuts
- Feta or goat cheese
- Green beans
- Sugar snap or snow peas
The one I made last Monday is my current favorite. Check this out:
Easy Quinoa Veggie Bowl
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped asparagus
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup feta cheese
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. 1/4 cup dry quinoa is 1 serving and is cooked in 1/2 cup of water or broth. Season with sea salt & pepper or additional spices of your choosing.
2. Cook asparagus & grape tomatoes either in a saute pan on the stove or roast in the oven. Spray the pan or the veggies with Pam (Olive Oil version). Season with sea salt & pepper.
3. Heat black beans in microwave and then combine all ingredients in a bowl.
The feta cheese becomes creamy and really adds a unique flavor to this dish. I didn’t add any other seasoning besides sea salt & pepper, but you certainly could add any that you wish. Even a dash or Frank’s Red Hot or Sriracha would kick this up a notch. This can be made to feed more people, too. Just double for 2 servings, etc. This would be a great meal to make extras of to take to work the next day or even eat cold for a picnic lunch in the park or on the beach.
This is a great way to really use your imagination in the kitchen. Try combining foods you haven’t ever combined before to discover new tastes. Add an ingredient you have never used or tasted before. Open your mind and you will find a whole new world of flavors out there.