Organic Bistro Whole Food Meals makes nutritious, gluten-free frozen food. Over the next few months, they will be debuting their new, exotic bowls. The bowls will join the eight other bistro meals already in the line. I was very impressed with the Wild Alaskan Salmon & Savory Turkey meals when I sampled them last year. Tiffany Janes sampled the Jamaican Shrimp Cake and wrote about it here. I truly never dreamed that frozen food could taste so good.
*image courtesy of Organic Bistro
The new bowls will be available in four different varieties:
- Sesame Ginger Wild Salmon
- Thai Style Red Curry with Beef
- Thai Style Yellow Curry with Chicken
- Asian Style Coconut Lemongrass with Chicken
I tell you what, they all sound great to me, but I am especially drawn to the Asian Style Coconut Lemongrass with Chicken. All of the bowls have 320 calories or less and between 15 and 18 grams of protein. Sodium levels are often high in prepared meals, but the levels in these bowls range from 500 to 650 mg (in the Thai Style Yellow Curry with Chicken).
More information about the ingredients & seafood that Organic Bistro uses:
Our mission is to make it easy for everyone to eat delicious, nutrition-rich meals. We make single-serving frozen meals and bowls balanced with the best sources of lean protein, fiber-rich whole grains, plentiful vegetables and healthy fats. Our wholesome organic ingredients keep their flavors because they’re unprocessed. So our recipes taste great without artificial flavorings. Complete, wholesome and satisfying meals are now always an option and ready in minutes.
Super-premium, real food ingredients are the beginning of each Organic Bistro meal. Flavorful, colorful and nutrient-dense ingredients make up each recipe. Selecting organic vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruits and oils is the beginning. We balance each meal with wild-caught, sustainable fish, lean poultry or natural beef. Finishing with organic herbs, spices and nuts for flavor brings our ingredients together to become tasty meals. Real foods, creatively combined make our meals delicious and healthful.
Meet some of our Ingredients:
- Quinoa – a grain native to South America, we use it to provide whole grain gluten free goodness in many of our meals
- Wild Alaskan Salmon – certified sustainable and rich in heart healthy Omega 3 fat; we only buy wild-caught salmon, never farmed.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – We buy this key ingredient for health in small batches to ensure freshness.
- Cranberries – delicious dried cranberries add tartness and sweetness to our rice pilafs. They are USDA certified organic.
- Natural Poultry – Our chicken and turkey meat is minimally processed and then roasted with a little water and sea salt.
- Legumes – edamame, black beans, canellini beans, lentils, green beans and sugar snap peas are rich in protein and fiber
- Ginger – we use pureed ginger in a few of our sauces and love the hot, sweet bite it adds.
- Rice – our meals have many different varieties of this familiar whole grain. All of our rice is USDA certified organic.
- Sundried tomatoes – these delicious additions to some of our meals, originate from Turkey. The climate is just right for growing and drying tomatoes with lots of flavor. These tomatoes are USDA certified organic from farm to our kitchen.
- Walnuts – Their delicious flavor, healthy fats and fiber rich nutrition make walnuts a perfect addition to some of our pilafs.
- Matcha Green Tea – green tea originated in Japan where a centuries old process makes it into a fine powder that we can use in a dressing on our vegetables.
Seafood sourcing policy
Our health and enjoyment of food is something we cannot take for granted when it comes to fish and seafood. The world’s oceans show many signs of overfishing and environmental degradation. If you eat fish, you have a voice, a choice and a say in what happens to world fish stocks over the next 50 years. At Organic Bistro, we have taken a proactive stance and choose to source our fish and seafood from Marine Stewardship Council certified fisheries only. The Marine Stewardship Council is an international non-profit that reviews fishing practices from applicant fisheries and certifies them after extensive review of management practices. Buying seafood from MSC certified fisheries is how we do our part to make sure there is enough delicious seafood for everyone decades from now. Vote with your pocketbook and ask at your favorite fish counter if their seafood is MSC certified.
I really try to use as few processed foods as I can, but sometimes I am just short on time. It is nice to have meals like the ones from Organic Bistro around so that I don’t feel as bad about supplementing our meals with some frozen meals.
Organic Bistro frozen meals & bowls can be found in stores across the United States, specifically health food stores & Whole Foods. Click here to find the location nearest you. Have you had a chance to sample any of the foods made by Organic Bistro? To find out more about the company or to keep up with new products & information, make sure to check out Organic Bistro on Facebook & Twitter.