Chicken is naturally gluten free, but it isn’t easy to find a good gluten free recipe to make the breading for fried chicken. With a little research, I was able to locate the following recipe. Here is the information you’ll need to try this gluten free recipe at home.
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 quart of buttermilk
- 1 cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 1/2 cups of corn flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons of Creole seasoning
- Sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Place chicken in a large glass dish or bowl. Cover completely with the buttermilk and then cover the dish or bowl. Place in the fridge and let “marinate” for at least 4 hours, but overnight is preferred.
- Cook the chicken preheat oil to 375 F. You want several inches of oil in the bottom of your pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- While oil and oven are heating get the chicken and “breading” ready.
- In a small dish place 1 cup of corn flour. Set aside.
- In a large dish mix 1 1/2 cups of corn flour with the bread crumbs. Stir in Creole seasoning until incorporated. Set aside.
- Beat two eggs and pour into a flat dish like a pie plate. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the fridge and drain off most of the buttermilk. You want a little coat of buttermilk to help the first coat and salt stick. Place on a plate.
- Now set up an assembly line. First you want the chicken. The next step is the corn flour. Next up is the egg and finally the corn flour/breadcrumb mixture.
- Once the oil is heated first sprinkle the piece of chicken with a little sea salt all over. Coat with the plain corn flour.
- Dip the chicken in the beaten egg.
- After the egg give them a nice roll in the corn flour/breadcrumb mixture and then fry each piece for roughly 7 minutes or until a very nice golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels and then place in a baking dish.
- Once all the chicken is fried, place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. I like to do this to make sure the chicken is done all the way through. After baking serve immediately.