Buns are a tricky food for someone with Celiac Disease, but there are a few options available. Here is a pretty good recipe for hot cross buns! If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch flour
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 2-teaspoons for yeast
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 3-1/2 teaspoons Xanthum Gum
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Three eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup yellow raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed peel (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Dissolve 2-teaspoons sugar in warm water.
- Add yeast and let proof.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl of mixer.
- Mix eggs, oil and vinegar and add to dry ingredients.
- Add proofed yeast and beat on high speed for three minutes.
- Stir in raisins and mixed peel.
- Grease two round pie pans.
- Rice flour hands, cut dough in half, and roll eight buns per pie pan, placing one in the center and seven around.
- With a knife blade dipped in rice flour, cut an X on top of each bun, and brush with melted butter.
- Let rise in a warm place for 35-40 minutes.
- Bake at 375-degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.