Now that the holiday season is here, we’ve really been trying to focus on holiday treats. Here is a gluten free recipe for a shortbread cookie that I wanted to pass along to our readers. If you give it a try let us know what you think in the comments.
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free flour (I used 3/4 cup almond meal and 1/2 cup sorghum flour)
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon or orange
- 6 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Put the gluten free flour, rice flour, citrus rind and butter in a food processor, and blend until it has combined. Add the sugar, xanthan gum, egg yolk and water and mix to a dough.
- Plop the dough out of the bowl onto a cutting board, covered with a dusting of rice flour. Knead. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll out the dough on the cutting board or other floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Using your favorite cookie cutter, cut out shapes and use a spatula to move to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Watch them carefully, as they can over bake easily. Remove from oven, leaving on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Move to wire rack.
- Dust lightly with powdered sugar, or the gluten free frosting of your choice.