Have you ever wanted to build your own gluten free gingerbread house? In the past we’ve discussed how you can purchase the supplies to build your own gluten free gingerbread house, but who wouldn’t rather build their own? It is also dairy free, egg free, and soy free!
If you’d like to check out other recipe ideas, check out our gluten free recipes page!
Gingerbread House Ingredients:
- 1 bag Pamela’s Wheat Free Bread Mix (Do not use enclosed yeast packet)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/3 cup unsalted shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg (or egg replacer for 1 egg, prepared)
- 1/2 cup mild or light molasses for lighter cookies or dark molasses for darker cookies
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons water
Gingerbread House Directions:
- Use heavy duty stand mixer, dough is heavy.
- In a medium bowl, combine Pamela’s Wheat Free Bread Mix with salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Whisk together thoroughly. Do not use the yeast packet in this recipe.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream shortening with sugar. Add egg, mix to incorporate. Add molasses, mix to incorporate. Add dry ingredients, mix to incorporate. Add water. Continue mixing gently together until dough comes together. If needed, add an additional tablespoon of water. (Dough prepared with egg replacer may require more or less water.)
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out.
- Use template (provided below) to cut out house pieces. Roll dough out at 1/4 inch. Cut out one house piece at a time on parchment using template. Leave the cookie on parchment and pull away excess dough from around cookie. Trim excess paper around cookie to about 1-inch, then transfer cookie on parchment to baking sheet. Multiple pieces can fit on one baking sheet. Remove templates from cookies before baking.
- Bake cookies twice to dry enough for building a house. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Then turn off oven leaving cookies inside with door shut. Leave them to cool completely in the heat of the oven (3 to 4 hours).
- Once cool, remove cookies from oven, preheat oven again to 350°, then bake for an another 10 minutes. Turn off oven with cookies inside with door shut, leave until cool. Construct the house using Pamela’s Royal Icing (see recipe below) made with Pamela’s Vanilla Frosting Mix. Decorate using candies stuck into the icing.
Gingerbread House Icing Directions:
- Mix one bag Pamela’s Vanilla Frosting Mix with 1 teaspoon Cream of Tarter and two egg whites. (For salmonella concerns, substitute equivalent of 2 eggs with dried egg white powder or meringue powder prepared).
- Mix on high until icing thickens and stiff peaks form. Icing will harden when dry. For the truly creative, try adding food color for colored icing.
Templates for building your gluten free gingerbread house (PDF):
- Gingerbread House Front & Back
- Gingerbread House Roof
- Gingerbread House Sides