Merry Christmas! Hopefully Santa treated you and your family well. As I was getting ready for our holiday meal, I was going through some of my favorite recipes and wanted to share a couple here with you guys.
I always associate fudge with Christmas because it was a staple in my Grandmother’s house. She made several different varieties of fudge each year, but my favorite has to be her Remarkable Fudge. It truly is “remarkable”.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (1/2 pound)
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk
Cook above in buttered, heavy 3 qt saucepan to soft-ball stage (236 degrees) stirring frequently.
- 1 12 oz bag milk chocolate morsels
- 1 pt. Marshmallow crème (2 small containers, 7 oz each)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
Beat until well blended. Pour into 13 x 9.5 inch glass baking dish. Score while warm, cut when firm. This recipe freezes well.
Next up? Almond Cranberry Bites. These aren’t your traditional Christmas cookies, but they are out-of-this-world!
Almond Cranberry Bites
**Original recipe from Eatingwell.com; modified to be gluten-free by me
- 1/3 cup whole almonds (I used Trader Joe’s raw almonds)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour mix (I used gfJules)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips or finely chopped dark and/or white chocolate, for decoration (optional)
Makes about 20 cookies.
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Grind raw almonds & sugar in a food processor until you have the desired texture; the finer the texture, the more intense the almond flavor & less crunch from the almond. Be careful not to turn the almonds into paste. Transfer mix to large bowl & mix in flour & cranberries.
3. Add egg white, oil, vanilla & almond extracts. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Shape dough into small balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom is slightly brown; the tops will not brown.
5. Transfer to a wire rack & cool completely.
6. Optional- melt chocolate & drizzle over cookies with a fork. Let stand until chocolate sets.