I was on a quest the other day to make some muffins. These muffins were to serve a dual purpose – feed Jon for breakfast and be a nice treat for me (Mother’s Day on Sunday) as well.
Don’t they look amazing? I browsed some of my favorite gluten-free cookbooks and settled on a recipe from Jules Gluten Free “Free For All Cooking” cookbook for Nut Butter Muffins. I did make a modification, though, and used Nutella in place of the peanut butter.
Nut Butter Muffins
Recipe reprinted with permission from Jules Shepard, modified slightly by me
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used Nutella)
- 2 TBSP butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, gluten-free
- 1 cup Jules Gluten-Free flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder, gluten-free
- 4 TBSP milk (I used Silk Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Line with muffin papers or oil 12 cup muffin tin
3. Measure nut butter, butter and brown sugar into large mixing bowl. Beat together with a dough paddle rather than a whisk attachment on your mixer. Beat in eggs, mixing well with each addition. Add vanilla last.
4. Stir together the dry ingredients then add them to the mixing bowl. Pour in the milk and stir together slowly until thoroughly mixed. Add the chocolate chips and spoon into muffin tins, filling only 1/2 to 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown crowns have formed and they are springy to the touch. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.
*I highly recommend an oven thermometer to ensure proper oven temperature.
I don’t know that I have made a more perfect muffin before. These muffins were very moist and held together well. The chocolate chips were a nice complement to the Nutella flavor that was present throughout the muffin. Jon loved the muffins and would like me to make them weekly. I say that means SUCCESS!
While I am somewhat curious to make the muffins with peanut or almond butter next time, I am not sure I can avoid using the Nutella. Such a nice chocolate treat!
Do you have a favorite flavor muffin?