Welcome to November! Thanksgiving is right around the corner, so I thought it would be a great day to share this recipe for pumpkin pie. The recipe comes to us courtesy of Chef Justin Swain of Rex 1516 in Philadelphia and puts a guiltless twist on a classic Thanksgiving dish by offering those who eat gluten-free a delicious dessert option!
No Bake Pumpkin Pie (Gluten Free)
*Recipe courtesy of Chef Justin Swain of Rex 1516 in Philadelphia
2 1/4 cup ground raw hazelnuts
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
9 dates, stoned
– Place hazelnuts and cocoa powder in a large bowl and mix well, breaking up any lumps.
– Add coconut oil to powder mixture and mix well.
– Place dates in a small bowl and mash with a fork.
– Add dates to dough-like mixture and combine well with hands.
– Place crust into 9-inch round pie pan.
– Place crust in refrigerator while making filling.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
2 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
-Beat cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric stand mixer until smooth and creamy. Both fats should be well softened to ensure the filling is lump free.
-Add the powdered sugar to the mixture and beat until smooth and fluffy.
-Add the vanilla extract, molasses, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree and beat until thoroughly combined. If you find that your filling is lumpy, pass it through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
-Spoon the filling into the pie shell. Let pie chill in the fridge overnight. (very important that it chills overnight or it won’t setup)