I was in the mood for comfort food last night. I wasn’t feeling well and it was chilly outside, so I began to browse my pantry for something that screamed “comfort”. I found a bag of stone ground grits from Trader Joe’s that I purchased a while back and had been meaning to make. What is more comforting than a creamy bowl of grits?
The instructions on the back of the package say to cook the grits with milk, but I wanted to use some Thai peanut sauce for the chicken and vegetables I was cooking, so I thought that coconut milk would be a better option. The combination ended up being one of my favorites!
This entire meal took less than 30 minutes to make. I used a rotisserie chicken (Meijer Lemon-Herb is gluten-free), but any chicken breast will do.
Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken Stir-Fry
- Chopped vegetables – I used carrots, snow peas, mushrooms and spinach
- 3-4 ounces per serving of chopped chicken breast
- 2 TBSP San-J Thai spicy peanut sauce
1. Saute vegetables in a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray. Don’t worry about seasoning them with salt or pepper, the sauce has plenty of seasoning.
2. Add in chicken to warm and San-J sauce. Cook on low for a couple of minutes to warm through.
3. Serve over coconut grits (recipe below).
*Ingredients are for one, but can be multiplied for as many as you like
Creamy Coconut Grits
- 1 can lite coconut milk (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Water (enough so that when combined with 1 can of coconut milk the liquid equals 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s stone ground grits
- dash of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
1. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the 2 cups of liquid and dash of sea salt to boiling.
2. Slowly stir in grits and return to boiling.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover & stir occasionally for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Add remaining liquid and stir until all liquid is absorbed – roughly 5-10 minutes.
*Makes 3-4 servings of grits.
Notes: Use leftover grits for breakfast with hot cinnamon apples & a dash of maple syrup! In addition to being gluten-free, this recipe is also dairy-free!
I can definitely see making this a staple in our house! The creamy grits were the perfect compliment to the spicy stir-fry!