The countdown is on…only five days until Thanksgiving! Iron Chef Cat Cora has created fun twists on traditional favorites that incorporate Pillsbury’s new refrigerated gluten-free dough. One in particular that caught my attention is the Sweet Potato Hash Pie. Check it out.
Update an old-fashioned hash with sweet potatoes and by adding a flaky pastry top.
Sweet Potato Hash Pie
Prep Time: 30 Min
Start to Finish: 45 Min
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lb white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 1/4 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32 oz carton)
2 tablespoons Betty Crocker™ All-Purpose Gluten Free Rice Flour Blend
1/2 container (15.8 oz) Pillsbury® Gluten Free refrigerated pie and pastry dough
1 teaspoon gluten-free grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 2 quart round baking dish.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute white potatoes 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; add sweet potatoes and saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes longer or until potatoes are firm but tender. Stir in basil, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne.
3. In 2 cup measure, stir together chicken broth and rice flour blend. Push potatoes to one side of skillet. Over medium heat, quickly whisk in broth mixture until bubbly; stir potato mixture into sauce; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon potato mixture into baking dish.
4. Knead dough until softened and no longer crumbly. Flatten into a round. Place between 2 sheets of cooking parchment or waxed paper. Roll into a 10-inch circle. Cut dough into 6 to 8 circles, using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place circles of dough evenly over sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle dough with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until pastry is dry and begins to brown.
Pillsbury Gluten-Free refrigerated doughs are available in mainstream grocery stores across the US. Look for them with the regular refrigerated doughs.